Worth the travel: Bilbao’s Culinary Delights
In comparison to San Sebastian, Bilbao’s culinary marvels are much less known to the circles outside of the Basque country. However, Bilbao’s food scene deserves much more attention as the city offers very exciting gastronomic opportunities ranging from its many Michelin star restaurants to some of the most authentic pinchos bars you can find in Northern Spain. Here are our top picks:
For fine dining in Bilbao city center:
1. Nerua: Everyone in Bilbao in one-way or another must visit the Guggenheim Museum. Besides the terrific art, the Guggenheim has one more surprise for you: Nerua. This stylish restaurant can be accessed either from inside the museum or from its own entrance. The chef combines modern Basque cuisine with delicate details.
· Address Av. de Abandoibarra 2, 48009 Bilbao
· Phone +34944000430
· Email email@example.com
· Website: http://www.neruaguggenheimbilbao.com
2. Zarate: This is a must-eat place for all seafood lovers. The chef, who also owns the place, sources his own wild caught fish from nearby fishermen villages. Its dining room is always packed with local people that make the whole experience more authentic.
· Address Licenciado Poza 65, 48013 Bilbao
· Phone +34944416521
· Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
· Website: http://www.zaratejatetxea.com
3. Zortziko: This classy and elegant restaurant has a very tranquil atmosphere. The chef adds intricate and contemporary details to otherwise classic dishes.
· Address Alameda de Mazarredo 17, 48001 Bilbao
· Phone +34944239743
· Email email@example.com
· Website: http://www.zortziko.es
Worth the travel: Michelin star restaurants in Bilbao’s countryside
1. Azurmendi: This famous countryside restaurant has its own vegetable garden and they source most ingredients locally. Their elevated cooking style compliments the exemplary ingredients. Its main dining room has floor length glass windows that offer beautiful views of the country. In 2017, Azurmendi ranks 38 among the World’s 50 Best Restaurants and it is awarded three Michelin stars.
· Address Legina Auzoa, 48195 Larrabetzu
· Phone +34944558866
· Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
· Website: http://www.azurmendi.biz
2. Andra Mari: This one Michelin star farmhouse restaurant overlooks the Ibaizabal river valley. The chef brings a contemporary interpretation to the classic Basque cuisine. There are several rustic style dining rooms to choose from.
· Address barrio Elexalde 22, 48960 La Cruz
· Phone +34944560005
· Email: email@example.com
· Website: http://www.andra-mari.com
Most favorite pinchos bars:
1. El Bar Globo: You can find this great pinchos bar right off the main shopping street of Don Diego Lopez Haroko. Its brick walls, friendly staff and never-ending crowd make it a very local and delicious experience. Try ‘solomillo de atun rojo con cebolleta de tuleda’ or ‘queso de cabra con cebolla confitada’.
2. Xukela: This old and authentic pinchos bar situated in Casco Viaje (the old quarter) is a good start for a true pinchos hopping experience. You can walk around Calle Merced, Calle Andra Maria, Calle Somera and find different tapas bars that will make you happy.
Best breakfast cafés for a strong start to your day:
You can find a number of good breakfast spots on Colón de Larreátegui Street, just opposite to Albia Lorategiak gardens. If you want a traditional Spanish place, try Cafe Iruna and its great tortillas. If you lean for a more modern option, you can go to Cafe Plaza Albia or Zahara.
- April 15, 2017
There are more than 600 wineries in la Rioja and you need to choose a good base to start exploring y
- May 18, 2017
La Rioja is full of small charming sun-baked villages that will make you feel like you are the only
- June 9, 2017
This is the main reason why travellers from all around the world come to la Rioja: Winery and vineya